Colin Moock has posted a great article on the recent history of Actionscript and related Adobe/Macromedia swf generation tools. Colin discusses the progression from AS2 to AS3 since the release of Flash Player 7, moving on to the recently released Flex 2. The article concludes with helpful “next steps” for different types of users, from AS2 developers to timeline-based Actionscripters and designers.
You can read the article in full here.
- Flash Player 9 – the Flash Platform runtime
- Actionscript 3
- Flex 2 SDK – free swf compiler plus the Flex framework
- Flex Framework 2 – UI classes and components
- Flex Builder 2 – Eclipse-based AS3 and MXML IDE
- Flex Charting – graphing classes and components
- Flash 9 AS3 Preview